Phil M. lived in a rehabilitation center after suffering a stroke last year. Fortunately, he qualified for Medicaid benefits that covered the high cost of treatment. However, after six months, he and his family felt he was ready to move back to the community and live the independent life he desired. A wise friend pointed them in the direction of Gateway to Community Living.

What is Gateway to Community Living?

It’s a program administered by the Alabama Medicaid Agency. Through this program, elderly people or those with disabilities may be able to live at home with community assistance.

Phil seemed like an excellent candidate for this program. His rehabilitation left him able to care for his daily needs. More importantly, he had a strong desire to live independently for as long as possible.

What services are provided?

Home and community-based programs offer a spectrum of services to meet the population’s diverse needs.

Transition coordinators work with applicants to work out eligibility.  In addition, they help applicants work out a custom transition plan.

Specific benefits include:

  • Financial assistance with moving costs, and deposits for rent and utilities.
  • Help people find affordable, accessible housing.
  • Job search assistants for applicants who are returning to the work force.

Phil was able to work with his transition coordinator to find a comfortable apartment in an independent living facility. Gateway also helped him apply for part-time jobs that fit his physical abilities.

Who can receive Gateway to Community Living assistance?

Applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Has lived in a nursing home or qualified facility for at least 90 consecutive days.
  • Received Medicaid for at least one day before transitioning to community living.
  • Expect to complete their transition within 180 days.
  • Be physically and mentally capable of living in the community with assistance.

People who feel they might benefit from Gateway to Community Living can ask the staff at their residential facility to refer them. Patients or their legal guardians and family members may also “self-refer” either online, by email, fax, or regular mail.

The social worker at Phil’s rehab facility referred him for Gateway benefits and helped him complete the required paperwork.

Learn More About Incapacity Planning.

Maybe you have an older parent facing elder law issues. Maybe you are looking ahead to your own future. Either way, it’s important to know what rights and protections are available for senior citizens. Schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys and find out where you stand. Our phone number is 256-251-2137, or you may want to use the Contact Form on our website. We have office in in Anniston and Birmingham and assist clients in communities like Hoover, Vestavia Hills, Irondale, and Calera.