Everything seemed to happen in a split second. One minute, 88-year old Mary Elizabeth was living at home and appeared able to care for herself. Then her son, Jason, received a call from the emergency room. Mary Elizabeth had suffered a devastating stroke and needed the kind of 24/7 nursing care best offered in a nursing home. She moved immediately from the hospital to a nursing facility, but financing her stay was a problem. Jason quickly learned how fast he could get Medicaid for a nursing home resident.
The Basics of Medicaid for a Nursing Home Resident
Medicaid is federally funded, but state managed. Programs and eligibility requirements may vary from state to state. Alabama Medicaid offers a program for Institutional Medicaid – or Medicaid for nursing home residents.
Qualifying as a Nursing Home Resident
For Jason to get Medicaid for Mary Elizabeth, she has to meet the following criteria:
- Mary Elizabeth must be a U.S. citizen residing in Alabama.
- She must prove that her nursing care is needed for a medical condition.
- Mary Elizabeth must live in the nursing facility for at least 30 continuous days.
- She must have a monthly income below the current limit of $2,205 per month, although this amount may be adjusted in January of each year.
- Mary Elizabeth’s resources must be worth less than the limit Medicaid sets. At this time, the limit for an individual is $2,000. However, there are exceptions to this, particularly if the applicant is married.
But applying for government benefits can take months. Mary Elizabeth and Jason urgently need Medicaid coverage now.
It make take 45 to 90 days for a Medicaid application to be approved. However, Medicaid coverage may be granted to cover up to three months before the month in which the application was submitted. This applies if the applicant received medical case and if the applicant meets all other eligibility requirements.
One of the best ways to quickly receive Medicaid is to submit an incomplete or inaccurate application. We can help.
Get a Decision on Medicaid as soon as Possible.
The attorneys at Miller Estate and Elder Law understand the estate planning needs of their clients. Contact Bill Miller at 256-472-1900 to schedule an appointment. Though our office is now located at 818 Leighton Avenue in Anniston, we serve clients in Gadsden, Hoover, Talladega, Vestavia Hills, and surrounding areas.